Institutional review was launched in 2011. Until then, the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education only performed evaluations of study programmes.
The aims of institutional review are:
- creation of prerequisites for the improvement of higher education provision;
- enhancement of quality culture in universities and colleges;
- issuing recommendations for the development of universities and colleges.
During an institutional review, the higher education institution is assessed for quality in the following areas:
- strategic management;
- academic studies and life-long learning;
- research and/or art activities;
- impact on regional and national development.
In 2015 the first external reviews of all higher education institutions based in Lithuania was completed. The Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education analyzed the results of these reviews. Analysis of 2011-2015 external review of higher education institutions in Lithuania can be found here.
Main documents regulating external review of HEIs
- Methodology for Conducting an Institutional Review in Higher Education approved by by Order No 1-01-135 of 25 October 2010 of the Director of the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (valid from 2016-09-01).
- Procedure for the external review of higher education institution approved by Resolution No 1317 of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania of 22 September 2010.
- Accreditation procedure of higher education institution approved by Resolution No 1317 of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania of 22 September 2010.