The Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education is an influential generator, implementer and disseminator of the ideas of the improvement of quality and enhancement of internationalism in higher education in both Lithuania and Europe.
The SKVC aspires to become an expert organisation operating and recognised by partners at the international level. The important direction of the Centre’s development is generation of new ideas with respect to assurance of quality in higher education and recognition of qualifications. SKVC activities are inseparable from the adoption and spread of the best international practice as well as active contribution to its formation. All this not only determines professionalism of the organisation, but also provides prerequisites for conducting public education on the issues of quality of studies and assessment and recognition of qualifications. Thus, in its vision the SKVC sees itself not only as an active player on the national and regional arena, but also declares its aspiration to contribute to quality assurance in higher education across Europe.
To create favourable conditions for the improvement of higher education quality in Lithuania and the free movement of persons in the world with the aim of enhancing competitiveness of Lithuanian higher education and clarity of qualifications.
It should be noted that the SKVC is actively involved in the development and improvement of the national legal environment for higher education and research and implements the national external quality assurance policy in higher education. The SKVC forms the attitude towards higher education as a public good bringing benefit to society and individuals and as a value encouraging conscious and responsible choice, providing objective information about education systems and their quality. Higher education quality is the agreement between the academic community, employers’ representatives and students regarding the aims, content, resources and measures, results, as well as constant (self-)improvement. The basis for quality is the interaction of teachers, students and the learning environment of the institution. Responsibility for the quality of higher education and the development of quality culture within the institution primarily lies with the higher education institution. The role of the SKVC is to promote these processes by defining quality assurance aims, evaluation criteria and measurement indicators as well as analysing the impact of quality assurance.
The SKVC appreciates the benefits and challenges brought by academic and professional mobility to an individual and community. By performing the functions of the national information centres (ENIC/NARIC) the SKVC acts as an intermediary and facilitator between individuals and institutions both in Lithuania and abroad. The Centre also performs an important role in implementing the best practice of recognition of foreign qualifications and ensuring its consistency in Lithuania.
In its daily activities the SKVC draws on the experience of the best international practice and promotes ongoing institutional and individual professional improvement. Engagement in the higher education quality improvement process is sought to be based on professionalism, impartiality, cooperation and international practice.
The SKVC undertakes to promote the quality of Lithuanian higher education as well as quality culture, create favourable conditions for studies and professional activities, the free movement of persons, and seek compatibility of the Lithuanian higher education system with the provisions of the European Higher Education Area.
Long-term SKVC objectives:
- To promote the quality of activities of Lithuanian higher education institutions through an external assessment and accreditation of institutions and study programmes;
- To create favourable conditions for the free movement of persons when carrying out recognition of higher education-related qualifications awarded in foreign institutions and providing information about education systems and qualifications.
- Professionalism and quality. Competent and efficient fulfilment of functions; quality of the activities is achieved through activity analysis, continuous learning and experience sharing;
- Independence and impartiality. We are an independent organisation; our operation is based on the principles of transparency, publicity and impartiality, following the pre-defined and announced criteria and procedures; our decisions are based on facts and their evaluation;
- Respect and trust. We respect the official language, the choice of persons and institutions, listen to their opinion and seek to assist them in improvement;
- Cooperation. We base our operation on partnership within the organisation as well as with stakeholders both in Lithuania and abroad.